Wednesday 11 December 2013

3 Words - WEEK 2

I was advised to do more research of my chosen words, in order for me to experiment thoroughly with my ideas. I needed to focus on one idea of my research and extract it as much as possible before moving on to another idea. I struggled to do this, but later on found out how to overcome this by refusing to think of design ideas, as this hindered the research and experimentation stage. I also realised that i was taking the spider/arachnophobia idea to literally and needed to abstract the idea by taking elements of spiders which people fear.

The critique also helped me to understand that i need to do so much more experimentation before i even consider design ideas. I found myself using knit in my sketchbook, which dominated it. This was because they were the only samples included in my sktchbook, which led people to believe i was interested in knit over design, which is not the case. I need to also consider how much knit samples i put into my book, to avoid giving the impression i want to be a knit student. Although i enjoy using elements of knit I want to express my interest in designing, therefore i will increase the number of silhouette sketches in my sketchbooks in the future.

In order to improve and complete this project, I aim to look more closely at the way phobias effect people, rather than look at the surface meaning of arachnophobia and aichmophobia. I want to relate my research to how phobias effect the body before considering specific fears such as ones mentioned previously. I want to make it obvious that i am decorating a fear with the use of Nick Knight's 'Flora' photography, as it will help incorporate the word 'decorate'. I believe my initial research must be open for me to target specific parts - i can then isolate these ideas in order to develop them as much as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment